When city officials in this family-oriented, Midwestern historic community of 10,000 needed to upgrade their duress and emergency systems to protect employees and community members, they selected solutions from Response Technologies because of the system's quick response and ability to easily expand in the future.
The city encompasses almost five and a half square miles and employs approximately 75 individuals. Officials were primarily concerned with updating the emergency solution in City Hall, the city's nearby recreational annex, and a public works building located several miles away. They needed a system that could help protect employees working with the public during the day as well as safeguard city volunteers, city council members and those participating in events and fitness classes at night.
The city had a commercial security system in place, but the city manager explains, "It was not an intuitive system and wasn't robust at all." The city's previous system included two panic buttons on key fob-type devices. However, when officials tested these panic buttons, the system took eight minutes to relay through dispatch and notify police.
Why Response Technologies?
Rapid notification was a top priority in selecting a new system, according to the city's police chief. "From a police standpoint, the speed and ability to integrate with our radio system were most important."
"Response Technologies was the only one that had the speed we were looking for in a notification process," the chief says. "Nothing else out there compares to what they can do with the radio connection and instantaneous response."
Another advantage was the ability to easily expand the system as future needs change and additional technology becomes available. "With Response Technologies, we're not limited in the number of devices we can add in the future," the city manager adds.
Before developing the solution, Response Technologies reviewed the complete layout of all buildings and carefully considered areas with public access. The new system was installed in fall of 2020 and includes:
- Centurion® Elite duress system, the fastest emergency notification solution on the market, is able to notify first responders within seconds. The city can also send notifications through email and cell phones to key employees.
- Gunshot detection in buildings open to the public uses sensors with two-factor authentication to ensure only true emergency events are reported.
- Panic buttons, permanently positioned under city front desks, enable discreet alert, while a wall-mounted mushroom panic button in the recreation area instills confidence even at night.
- PC Duress on numerous city computers keeps employees informed and involved from their desks, in case of an emergency.
- Environmental monitoring enabled the city to add a water sensor in the pump room that supports a city fountain. The sensor alerts officials to potential flooding using the same Centurion system.
"Response Technologies was great at hearing our concerns and suggesting solutions," explains the city manager. "We now have an added layer of security and peace of mind."
"We would recommend Response Technologies whole-heartedly," the police chief adds.